Day 12: You gotta have faith

February 25, Day 12: Mark 9: 2- 10

I realize there is so much I don't know about religion and faith, that I'm living in darkness with regard to most aspects of it. Felt this way after reading today's verse which is about the Transfiguration. A word I have heard being mentioned before, but I'd always skim over it without getting what it really means. I think it's one of those mysteries of Christianity which most people hear about it at 'mind' level but have trouble understanding in their hearts.

It took me multiple readings and interpretations. I also heard it read at mass in Church today, and even a couple of days after, I still struggled to put down coherent thoughts.

It has a mystical quality to it, and is one of those things in the New Testament, which has not direct takeaway or lesson, the way a parable has, or the way some of the words Jesus says has.

I'm in the choir and one of the songs we (appropriately) sang today was called 'Transfigure us O Lord'. For the first time I heard the word 'transfigure' applied to us. I googled the word, and 'transfigure' simply means: 'transform into something more beautiful or elevated'.

It was then that I felt that the verse was not so much incomprehensible as is my faith in it. That I was using my lack of understanding as a crutch. I think I do understand, but do I want to believe??

Here's the verse I am referring to: Mark 9: 2-10

And after six days Jesus took with him Peter and James and John, and led them up a high mountain by themselves. And he was transfigured before them,  and his clothes became radiant, intensely white, as no one on earth could bleach them.  And there appeared to them Elijah with Moses, and they were talking with Jesus. And Peter said to Jesus, “Rabbi, it is good that we are here. Let us make three tents, one for you and one for Moses and one for Elijah.”  For he did not know what to say, for they were terrified.  And a cloud overshadowed them, and a voice came out of the cloud, “This is my beloved Son, listen to him.”  And suddenly, looking around, they no longer saw anyone with them but Jesus only.

And as they were coming down the mountain, he charged them to tell no one what they had seen, until the Son of Man had risen from the dead.  So they kept the matter to themselves, questioning what this rising from the dead might mean.

Thoughts: So Jesus takes his friends up a high mountain (I read that the mountain itself signifies the uphill climb the journey to God is) and reveals himself to them a bit (His clothes became radiant). And then other esteemed prophets like Moses and Elijah also appeared.

Peter's reaction to me was relatable and adorable and also rests on his limited understanding - one of excitement, he was overwhelmed, and he blurts out his reaction in a human way that any of us would. "Let us make 3 tents, one for you, and one each for Moses and Elijah". ( Rough translation for young people: Whooaaa awesome!! This is fantastic. All 3 of you amazing God-like people are here. Let's build a campfire and tent out here, and hold on to this awesomeness).

Finally, a voice reveals Jesus divinity and confirms it. (God's voice)

Jesus was just giving them a teaser trailer of the fantastic movie (glory!) to come so that it would inspire them along their hard paths coming up ahead!

Takeaway: Glorious things beyond my understanding are at hand if I choose to believe in it.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Keep the faith

Day 40: The home stretch

Day 27: Finding neverland