Day 6: Little things with great love

February 19, Day 6 : Mathew 25: 31-46

As explained earlier, the weekend was useless and a bit of a blur which upset my routine and it was no surprise that I overslept on Monday morning! It's pretty difficult to not be affected by on-going things and still make time for this Bible reading. I am glad I persisted today.

Today's reading is from Mathew 25:31-46, here are the bits that stood out:

Then the King will tell those on his right hand, ‘Come, blessed of my Father, inherit the Kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; for I was hungry, and you gave me food to eat. I was thirsty, and you gave me drink. I was a stranger, and you took me in. I was naked, and you clothed me. I was sick, and you visited me. I was in prison, and you came to me.’

----------------------

Thoughts:  Today's reading gave me space to take the focus away from 'me' and make me consider what I was doing for other people. Which left me feeling deflated as I was not really doing anything for other people as described in the passage?! especially in terms of almsgiving, charity work or helping the less privileged. It struck a chord in me to do more on this front - I'm not sure what this is yet.

Edited to add: A few days later it struck me, when I was talking with a friend who sounded like they needed help. Said friend is a continent away, and usually I don't get proactively involved in what's she's going through. Main reason: different time zones, state of minds, different pages, busy in our own lives. Well usually, apart from our regular chats. But, that's when this verse really made sense to me. J was not just talking about doing huge world-changing things like volunteering, or giving loads to charity or being hands on in the community (well, if you are the sort, good for you too!).

He was talking about the little things. Kindness to a stranger. A small act you can do everyday to cheer up the life of another. In small ways. Things you can do in your power in the everyday. By being proactive when you are with family and friends, and taking the time to step outside 'your world'. It might sound obvious, but if you think about it, there will be instances when you failed to do things when you easily could have.

Takeaway: Be kind and tend to the needs of the people around you. Charity begins at home - true words! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Keep the faith

Day 40: The home stretch

Day 27: Finding neverland