Day 8: Listening to my good side

February 21, Day 8: St Luke 11: 29-32

I'll admit I got a bit lazy to write my thoughts down, and other things took priority as I had a writing deadline looming as well. Could have managed my time a little bit better to fit this in, but hoping to catch up real soon.

But I find that it almost works better if I wait a day or two before I write.

Reading the Bible is pretty intense... they don't seem like words on paper anymore. Because there have been things that have been popping out in the middle of the day when I've been going out my daily things which have surprised me!

Little realizations about what I've read. Or ideas that click and fit together when they didn't make sense before. It's changing my behaviour too.

For instance: There was an incident when a person said something hurtful (unknowingly) and my first reaction was to say something sarcastic or hurtful in return  - jibe for jibe sort of a thing.
But I held back and thought: If this is my reaction, then I am the one suffering, I am the loser in the end plus it hurts them back, so why even say it? There are better, kinder ways to deal with the situation.

Not to say this was easy! I was pulling my hair out to stop myself. To be honest, I am not sure how I managed to stop myself. I would never have said this before but I think it's the power of the words that I've read these past days working in me in an unfathomable way.

Today's verse is from St. Luke 11: 29-32

As the crowds increased, Jesus said, “This is a wicked generation. It asks for a sign, but none will be given it except the sign of Jonah.  For as Jonah was a sign the Ninevites, so also will the Son of Man be to this generation.  The Queen of the South will rise at the judgment with the people of this generation and condemn them, for she came from the ends of the earth to listen to Solomon’s wisdom; and now something greater than Solomon is here. The men of Nineveh will stand up at the judgment with this generation and condemn it, for they repented at the preaching of Jonah; and now something greater than Jonah is here. 

-----------------------

Thoughts: I didn't understand a word when I first read it. I've never even heard of J referring to Jonah ever. To me (until now) the story of Jonah is a Bible story, you know, the one that ends with a moral - if you don't do X, Y happens, and you learn a lesson. If you don't obey, you get swallowed by a fish and get thrown in the deep sea. Fun fact: I've an irrational  fear of being lost (and alive) in pitch black deep sea conditions. Which makes no sense, coz' I'd be dead?

Back to the matter at hand.

So I didn't understand this reading so I got some help from Catholic daily reflections.

So the story of Jonah is basically this: He was told by God to go to this city of Nineveh and preach to its evil people that they'd better repent or they're done for. Jonah doesn't want to do this, so he tries to run away on a ship. God causes a storm, and the sailors worry and cast lots and find that Jonah's to blame (A little random much?). So he gets thrown overboard and gets swallowed by a sea creature and lives inside it for 3 days. Where he prays and asks God to save him. He's still reluctant to do God's will when he comes out, but he does it anyway. And you know what, he turns out to be pretty good. And the people of Ninevah get the message, and they repent.

So J points out that He is sign of this generation, just like Jonah was to that generation all those years ago. But, what about our current generation? We've all the things J left behind for future generation - his teachings, the Church (set-up by His buddy, Peter), the Pope (the main person here on earth who has the authority to speak about God with respect to today's culture and society) and the saints (great people whose lives could be a good lesson when things get rough for us), among others.

Takeaway: Each one of us has a duty to find and listen to God's voice within us.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Keep the faith

Day 40: The home stretch

Day 27: Finding neverland